History of Jagannath TempleThis temple was constructed by Raja Ananta Varman Chodaganga Dev in 12th century A.D. The wooden images of Jagannath Balabhadra and Subhadra were kept in that temple and were maintained by Hindu rulers till the year 1558. This was the time when the State of Orissa was conquered by the Afghan Nawab of Bengal. At this time, the temple was attacked by the Afgan General ‘Kalapahad’ and an independent Khurda kingdom was set up by Ramachandra Deb. He assumed the management of the temple and he then consecrated the temple and reinstalled the deities. Raja Mansingh, a General of the Mughal King Akbar, defeated the Afghans and captured Orissa in to the Mughal dominion and after that it was with the Mughals till 1751 A.D till 1760. The temple continued to be under the Khurda Raja. He was paying tribute to Mughals and Marhattas and later Marhattas took up direct management of the temple till the year 1803. The Britishers annexed Orissa into British Empire in 1803 after which the Puri Raja was allowed to take care of the management of the temple and this continued till the year 1947
The temple rests on the eastern coast along the Bay of Bengal in Orissa. The temple offers to her guests a 'tourism capsule'. This has been the important pilgrimage center for the Hindus. Puri was among the 13th century magic carved on sand stone. There have been many temples which have vanished or lost their popularity but the temple still continues to attract a lot of people over centuries. This temple has attracted kings, conquerors, religious teachers, devotees and pilgrims and also the minds of many people not just in Orissa but different parts of the country.